[joomla] K2, what where they thinking?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:21:29 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Arzie Hardin <arzieh at gmail.com> wrote:

> hey Gary, thanks for your response. I hear what you are saying that using
> tags is a way to go. A tag solution was my first approach, but I could find
> no way to create tag menu items (to mimic sec/cat) for addressable tag
> labled article lists/layouts. Do you know of a solution/technique to do
> this?

Umm.....  I copy the code for article list/layouts and make a quick tag
display function. Probably not the answer your looking for. :-)

Obviously I am not an extension developer and there could be very good
> reasons why noone except one develper has attempted it, but it sure would be
> nice. :-)

Well...my own thinking is that no one is EVER happy with one way of doing
layouts, so I always end up having to tweak it anyway at the end of which I
have a small bit of custom code for a specific situation.

As such, going through the effort of packaging it up with an XML file,
zipping it, posting it, begging Joomla Extensions to list it...... and to
get only 1 person giving you feedback if your lucky?  Not worth the time.

And I don't see any commercial value to it... I mean I can't imagine anyone
paying even 3 bucks for such a thing...let alone the 5 bucks I see as the
minimum payment to make setting up a payment system worthwhile.

Would you pay 5 bucks for it?  :-)

What I see is that there is an obsession over having a "better"
section/category system but in the end the one we have is quite adequette,
what we need instead is a decent, built in tagging system.  And a decent
built in comment system.  And a decent built in message queue system.  And a
decent built in Cache system.

In order of priority, I'd say tags, comments, than either caching or
messages.

--
----
Hudson Valley Sudbury School