[joomla] SEO/SEF - Do I need an extension to name my own URL for Joomla 1.5.23?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 06:47:55 EDT 2011

It's been a while since I've had to do this with Joomla. The friendly
URLs are fine and working in Joomla 1.5.23, but I have a need to name
my own URL for a few pages. Such as domain.com/whitepaper instead of
whatever friendly URL Joomla would assign to it.

In an early version of Joomla, before 1.5, I think I had to install an
extension to do this. And if I remember correctly, as Administrator I
was able to put in the desired URL path of my own.

I've looked around and can't find the discussion on this I need. I
know about renaming htaccess.txt to .htaccess, but I don't believe
before I actually edited the .htaccess file to put in my own URL name.

I'm fuzzy on what htaccess.txt actually does now, because I still had
it off and with the SEO Friendly URL set to 'yes' it was coming up
with URLs based on the title of the articles all it's own. Thanks!

David Roth