[joomla] Joomla distributions and HTML5

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:38:29 EST 2011

I'm currently working on 3 personal projects and figured I'd see if
anyone else has done or heard of something similar.

First off, I am working on re-working the Joomla install/configuration
to move all the Joomla files outside the webroot except for the
index.php files.  I want to package it all up the way FudForum does[one
giant PHP file that contains the installer and all the code using the
halt_compiler function of PHP,
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.halt-compiler.php

For this project, I don't expect or even care if I succeed, it is more
that it will allow me to learn more about Joomla core internals for my
REAL goal.

Real goal, second project: Joomla! Embedded - a Joomla! distribution for
embedded devices.  Mainly this is using just the Joomla! framework,
getting rid of a LOT of the external libraries[no need for phpmailer]
which also means getting rid of some core classes.....and getting rid of
MySQL[which means replacing the JUser class with something that can
function with a different user storage structure].

I've got online access to an Elphel to play with,
http://www3.elphel.com/index.php and it looks promising for setting up a
digital camera to make my wife happy.  But it's user interface sucks,
and the only current project to make a better interface is using
Java[something I avoid using].   So I want a decent Ajax web based
interface for the camera, and the default distro includes lighthttp and
PHP 5.2.  Match made in heaven, I can code that!

I first looked at it as writing a small mini framework for the system[as
I want to use MVC practices, and want userid/permissions
management]....  but I think in the end building my own mini
framework[or learning a new one] would take as much time as using
Joomla! and stripping out all the bulky stuff I don't need.

I figured I might as well ask here if anyone knows of an existing
project for these first.   Mind you, this is low priority work compared
to paying work.....but I have some time so my goal is something beta
level by May 7th[my wife's birthday......you guys just /had/ to schedule
dev camp for that day didn't you?  :-)]

Lastly, I've been hacking around with HTML5 and was thinking it might
make for a fun presentation at an upcoming Joomla meeting if there is
interest.

-Gary