[joomla] RocketTheme: use it with moderation

Helvécio da Silva helvecio.rj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:36:35 EST 2011

Hi Dan

I see your point.

The problem is presenting a product with a misleading display.

In this specific template, there's a position with a Latest News
header, titles, intros and images.

I know Joomla for a while and I know it uses a module mod_latestnews,
usually named Latest News, that displays the title of articles only.

I saw that and wondered: how did they do that? Could it be another
module? Or is it the intro text in the main component? Later I find
it's an article. The only one published on the frontpage. And it is
like a placeholder article, where they hard coded intros from other
articles. OK. Not the easiest solution from my point of view, but...

Then, while looking for another answer on how to replicate what the
demo site displays, I came across an answer from one of the RT Team
claiming things are as they are and that we used to TRY to K2 to
replicate it! This doesn't make sense to me and I felt like they don't
care for their customers.

I went the obvious way: I had the intros display on the frontpage only
with a CSS formatting that does the job. Not quite the same, but it's
looking good on the site.

For me, this template misled me to think they were using Joomla basics
to make things happen. Actually, it was not for real or dynamically
created. It was just a fake article that looked good.

I don't understand why they tried to reinvent the wheel and came up
with a square object and think it's all OK.

Am I being too grumpy here? LOL