[joomla] extensions for creating a study partner site

Tamar tracysanz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 14:41:24 EST 2011

I am going to set up a Joomla! site where people can search for other people with the same 'study' interests (can be academic subjects or anything else) - and partner with them remotely to study material together.

So there needs to be a way to create individual profiles, and a database of users, searchable by a variety of custom fields. Also, there should be a way for users to initiate and manage their study partnerships - send a request/introduction through the site, accept a request, view current partners. And possibly some sort of project management tool on the site, that members can use to set goals and track their progress, in pairs.

So - what extensions would you suggest? I'd like to do the site in 1.6 - there is no deadline yet and so I can work on this while 1.6 continues to improve and more extensions become available. The custom fields makes me think CCK, perhaps K2? Although the last time I looked, K2 search wasn't that good. But then the relationships between profiles makes me think Community Builder or JomSocial? What kind of integration can be done between a CCK and CB or JomSocial? What other options do I have?

Thanks,
Tamar