[joomla] login issues with ie in Joomla 1.5 web site

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:24:54 EDT 2011

My own experiences with odd logon issues comes down to domains.
Somewhere in the logon process someone sticks hardcodes the root domain,
for example website is www.mydomain.com and at some point during the
logon process, before the userid has been submitted, it is getting
submitted to mydomain.com[perhaps in the form tag on the logon form].

So the user logs on to mydomain.com and then gets redirected back to
www.mydomain.com
A user logon is...at some point..stored in a cookie on the web server.
Some identifiable bit of info is stored in the cookie and associated
with the domain which set it[mydomain.com].

Depending on the browser configuration, some browsers will assume that
if they are connected to www.mydomain.com they should also allow access
to the server for mydomain.com cookies.  Others are more paranoid and won't.

So if your having a specific issue with a specific browser, check the
domains.  ESPECIALLY check all the domains in the logon process, not
just the ones being displayed[ie it will drive you crazy if the logon
form displays www.mydomain.com and after logging in your immediately
redirected to another page on www.mydomain.com ... you will not /see/
that the data is being passed through just mydomain.com at some point.]

You can try an extension like Redirect Blocker in firefox,
http://code.kliu.org/noredirect/ and disable javascript to see if that
helps you step through the process[I always attack it at the other end,
debugging the PHP to catch the problem there as I have done it enough
times that it's easy and quick for me]