[joomla] Meeting reminder and Joomla 1.7 alpha release

Stephen Britton sbritton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:18:41 EDT 2011

Hi Gang,

Just want to remind everyone that tomorrow (Thursday 6/9) is the monthly
Joomla NYC meeting.

Note that the meeting is now being held directly across the street from Rose
Hall (Our former meeting site). I will also be out in front of the building
10 minutes prior to the start of the meeting at 6:30 PM to help guide those
wayward souls looking for the place.

I'll provide more detailed directions in another message.

Also, Alpha 1 of the long-awaited Joomla 1.7 is now available for download.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I like the news so far.
According to the release notes, you will be able to upgrade directly from
Joomla 1.6 to Joomla 1.7 through the control panel. It sounds similar to the
WordPress upgrade method.

http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5372-joomla-17-alpha-released.html

And while I have your attention, I also want to plug Joomla Day NYC 2011,
happening May 22 and 23. You can register right now at
www.joomladaynyc.comand sponsorships are available.

Also, if you haven't visited the newly redesigned JoomlaNYC.org website, you
should. Marion of Gothamwebsites.com had done a fantastic job freshening up
the site.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow.

- - - Steve

--