[joomla] Dev environment using virtualbox (Gary Mort)

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:01:31 EDT 2011

On 9/2/2011 12:35 PM, Herbert Tucker wrote:
> Thanks for the post Gary.
> I'm in the process of setting up an Ubuntu dev server using VMWare.
> I've only got as far as getting the VM running and the server set up
> so this is a very timely post since it's the network share and DNS
> stuff that looks to be the tricky bits.
> One thing I'd suggest is to use split rather than monolithic files
> since at ~2GB they can be more handily backed up.

I've found VirtualBox to be a breeze to setup on my windows machine, so
I didn't look further into other VM options.   I originally used a
dynamic 10G drive, basically this means that the disk image can grow to
10G but will only be as big as all the files on it - but I found
performance rather lousy with that with all the disk space claims it had
to keep making for logfiles and such.

I really want 1 single file as it allows me to simply zip and copy the
file from the desktop to the laptop to switch work systems, and then
swap it back.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I'm picking up a small 30G SSD drive and
seeing if moving the disk image to SSD speeds things up noticeably.