[joomla] system timezone issue

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 00:32:32 EDT 2012

Hi Paul.

Without more details, I'm going to hazard a guess to what's going on. That
error message is appearing because PHP has been updated to a later version
which expects the time zone functions to be done differently. The way to
fix this would be to make changes to PHP code, which I don't think is a
good solution because it's most likely in many places through Joomla 1.5
and perhaps extensions too.

My best recommendation would be to upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to the latest
release which is 2.5.6. Make sure you check the minimum PHP requirements
for upgrading to Joomla 2.5.6. When you can get to the command level, type
php -v and that will display the current version the system is running. If
you don't have shell access to do that, try uploading a tiny PHP program
like this and call it phpinfo.php:

<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

?>

Then run it from the web browser for domain.com/phpinfo.php and that will
display the version number of PHP, along with a bunch of other info too.

I'm a little concerned why you are seeing these messages appear on the web
page though. Perhaps one of the options to not display errors was enabled
along the way. I don't recall where this was done exactly. In the long run,
it's better to upgrade to the latest version of Joomla. I know it's easy
for me to say this because I don't know the size of the web site and what
extensions are being used which might be available for Joomla 2.5. Hope
this helps!

David Roth