[joomla] Google Results & Keywords - How do I get listed?

brynk brynk at joomlaconnections.com
Tue Nov 13 10:12:57 EST 2012

I have enjoyed reading this thread especially since the information
given is not only very useful but also it is honest and ethical. What
has not been mentioned are the unethical ways to get higher ratings and
I greatly appreciate the community for not suggesting these other
methods. I recently had an incident with a new customer who had his site
hosted by a Company in the mid-west. He was not happy with service so he
called me. I created a new Joomla CMS site from the content and design
he was using with this other company. When the new site went live, I
noticed something pretty fascinating.  You could do a google search with
legitimate search terms that you would expect to use to find his
business. When you got Google search results you also got hits for URL's
that made no sense at all such as example: http://(Company
Name)/Rhianna.html or http://(Company Name)/ Christiana Milan.htm. There
were literally 15-20 hits listed in the google search results that made
no sense at all.  Of course, these hits were broken once we went live
with the new site. I did not create redirects on the new site for these
bogus url's but did for legitimate ones.

My client was paying for SEO and high google ratings from the previous
web company. I had to explain to him why I could not guarantee those
same results.  I will do all I can to get a client listed as high as
possible in search engines but I will not do the unethical redirects and
garbage that I see people do to get higher search results. Some of these
SEO Companies are just snake oil salesmen.  I will not charge and/or
promise something that is basically undeliverable through honest means.
Luckily, my new client appreciated my honesty and is not interested in
higher search engine rankings through unethical tricks.

My two cents
Bob Rynkiewicz

On 11/6/2012 11:30 AM, Geoffrey Schaller wrote:
> I've been trying to get my site to appear in Google when searching for
> certain key words, and I seem to be getting stumped - I'm showing up
> on page 2, not near the top.  Posts by myself or friends about the
> site appear before the site itself in the search results.
>
> The key phrases I am looking for are "larp nj" - where the term "larp"
> is the kind of activity the site is promoting (it's a kind of game /
> sport), and it's based in New Jersey.  Searching on "larp nj" turns up
> all our competitors, but not our own site.
>
> I've designed the site with a SEO-friendly template, filled in site
> keywords, made sure the front page has text and isn't just a splash
> page, etc. - but I can't seem to get the site to come up on results
> for those key words.
>
> What am I missing?  How do I get those words to trigger a better
> result with my site?
>
> The site itself is: http://www.knightrealms.com
>
> (The odd thing is... we're one of the biggest games out of all
> our competitors, DESPITE this ranking thing.  It's more a matter of
> technical frustration at this point than a marketing issue... ;-)  )
>
> --
> Geoffrey Schaller
> gjschaller at psi-13.com <mailto:gjschaller at psi-13.com>

Joomla Connections