[joomla] Change the domain name?

Geoffrey Schaller gjschaller at psi-13.com
Fri Nov 16 14:52:28 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Christopher French
<contact at chrisfrench.me>wrote:

> if your site is built correctly you should just need to point any domain
> name at the site and it should work out of the box.

I actually ran into this myself, and this DID work.  I had a site set up as
www.domain.com/test, and then converted it to test.domain.com - all I had
to do was set up the subdomain to point to /test, and it worked.

If you want to be EXTRA sure, you can use an extension to check for broken
links after the move.  I purchased this for sanity's sake when I was
maintaining a very large Joomla site with a ton of documentation, and it
was a life saver:

http://www.qlue.co.uk/joomla-extensions-15-a-16/joomla-broken-link-checker.html

If possible, can you point the old domain name at the new server, at least
temporarily, so that both domains resolve to the new cPanel account? That
might help.

If you're using Google Analytics / Web Tools, you can tell it your site
moved and changed names, which might also help.

-Geoffrey