[joomla] having major issues with hacking and restoring

Ellen Rothwax ellen.rothwax at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:12:39 EDT 2012

Hi folks,
Not my day!!!!
 I have been hacked on a couple of my Joomla sites in the past few days.
All are hosted on 1 & 1 , they are 1.5 and 2.5 sites, all the latest
versions.
The hacks are different. One was redirecting to msn.com another messed with
my htaccess file and something in the backend because oddly enough although
I can see it, the dropdown navigation in the backend doesn't work.The
navigation icons in the control panel do, but once you get to a different
page, the save and close buttons don't work. I am having the host roll back
their backups because mine are not helping.
Has anyone had this experience?
Other than using Admin tools and removing references to Joomla, any
suggestions to securing the sites better?

On a different note, I just tried to restore a backup to a backup site on a
site that was not hacked to test it(I am paranoid now that my backups won't
help if they are corrupted). This site has Hikashop and Easyblog on it. The
restored backup (to a new database) isn't working right. It is fine until
you try to navigate to one of these extensions and I get an error:
Multiple Choices
The document name you requested (/index.php) could not be found on this
server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you
requested.

Available documents:

/index.html (common basename)

Please consider informing the owner of the referring page about the broken
link.

Any ideas why?

Please make my day better!

Ellen