[nycphp-talk] Anyone buying this? Linux vs. Win2k

Lynn, Michael (DCS) MLynn at exchange.ml.com
Tue Dec 3 06:24:07 EST 2002

Anybody remember this: http://www.cyber.com.au/cyber/about/linux_vs_windows_tco_comparison.pdf

However, in the interest of fair competition.  The above study pits RedHat 7.2 against Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  Perhaps a more accurate study would incorporate one of the per-seat/per-server
Linuses against the Microsoft Solution. ie: RedHat Advanced Server (http://www.redhat.com/software/advancedserver/subscriptions/ bottom line cost $799 per seat on up through $2499 - and yes, you
really, really do have to pay RedHat for EVERY server you have running AS).

The Linux solution still wins based simply on the accompanying software licenses... I may plug in the numbers just to make sure - anybody interested?

Mike