[nycphp-talk] [JOB] PT Junior Developer, Manhattan

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Fri Dec 6 17:38:03 EST 2002

Analysis & Solutions wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:03:46PM -0500, Jon Baer wrote:
>

>>You know ... this REALLY leads to a better discussion on possible PHP
>>Certification of some kind
>>

>Bah.  Certification can just mean you're good at taking tests.  Doesn't
>necessarily reflect real world smarts, discipline, nor research and
>hacking skills.
>
>A good interview, references and coding examples prove far more than any
>certification test.

Im gonna partly agree with you.  I myself have a few years of JSP, ATG
Dynamo, [insert your favorite J2EE app server here], but have *yet* to
land a PHP/MySQL gig (in the middle of a convert project right now), I
have been so tempted to stay away from certification but without
employers being EXTREMELY specific on what they are looking for instead
of jotting down every acronym they have seen in a magazine somewhere,
what other options do you have?

Its either:

[Business] needs X, Y, Z
Candidate has done X,Y,Z
Candidate has never done X,Y,Z but certified to know how to do X,Y,Z.

How diverse and broad is PHP for a project?  Extremely, and to me (it
seems anyway), that if you can SSH ur way into a companies site to do
work, there should be no questions asked, certification or no
certification.  So im not complaining, good experience makes up for it
to some degree but I really wonder how many resumes a biz guy is going
to get these days that all look the same.

- Jon