An Action Item App or Help Desk App...

Fee, Patrick J patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Wed Dec 11 16:57:25 EST 2002

Evening gang,

Recently I became disenchanted with an application I was using to track web
job assignments by all of my staff.  This ColdFusion/Oracle web app. acted
like a help desk where customers could input requested changes, updates or
corrections directly.  My staff could also enter these actions themselves to
handle phone requests, emails  or other "non-web" requests.

We could then track these items, hand them off to each other, and allow the
users to see where thier issue was in the process.  Finally we could close
the issues and later get metrics on how quick we were.

Three issues:

1) Not scalable without kickin' in a lot of cash for additional users.

2) No option for sub-tasks below the main task.  THis makes sence because it
was made to be a help desk app., so it was MEANT to deal with the opening,
working and closing of discret tasks.  But we need a little more...

3) The CF was encoded, so I couldn't change it to do our bidding.  I know
whatever I get will need at least a wee bit o' customization.

So... my question to you.  Anyone know of a LAMP (actually NETBSD AMP, but
now I'm quibbling) product out there that will let me do the Help Desk for
your Web Clients thing?  I'm going to set it up on my own NetBSD server and
if the powers that be like it... we'll get them to set up a Linux server for
our use.

I'd like it to be something that one of you has some faith in... or a couple
of products that I can test against each other and make an informed
decision.

THanks for you imput.  Also... sorry about the spelling.  I'm sending this
from a web mail client without the bells & whistles.

Patrick J. Fee