[nycphp-talk] PHP version compatibility standards

Emmanuel. M. Decarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Mon Dec 16 09:40:46 EST 2002

What could be the best practice, best defensive programming regarding
this situation when you write your own programs? Anyone have
suggestions or pointers.

I started this September with PHP and I was really bitten by the
differences in version between 4.0.6/4.1.2

For example I had to write/install a PHP module for a client running
unfortunately 4.0.6 while I was developing on my staging server on
4.1.2. I fall in all the traps regarding the differences in scope
with $HTTP_GET_VARS and $_GET. That's ok, I was beginning to learn
the language.

But I find quite astonishing that key_exists() doesn't work anymore
on 4.1.2 (you have to use instead array_key_exists
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.array-key-exists.php>). So I
had to write a wrapper for this functionality.

function keyexists ($key, $array) {
     $keyexists;
     if ( function_exists ( "key_exists" ) ) {
         $keyexists = key_exists;
     } else {
             $keyexists = array_key_exists;
     }
     if ( $keyexists ( $key, $array ) ) {
         return true ;
     } else {
             return false;
     }
}

Why in the world key_exists was not aliased to array_key_exists and
flagged as deprecated in 4.1.2?

Cheers
-Emmanuel