[nycphp-talk] bsd apache php mysql help

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Mon Dec 30 21:40:29 EST 2002

Hi Shawn et al,

--- Shawn Lawyer <shawn at shawnlawyer.com> wrote:
> my whole objective with my server was to not only have a for/non profit
> developement enviroment but also to gain the experience needed to
> facilitate my/others needs. what do you mean nyphp could provide space?

Since early August (when NYPHP.org was colocated as it's own server) we've
offered rooted FreeBSD jails for Open Source development
(http://xs.projects.nyphp.org for instance) projects.  These are full blown
virtual servers, where you can compile/configure/etc just about everything
you need, and play around with it.

Does this mean you can host non-computer-related-non-profit.org or
ebusiness.com with us?  No; for that, use one of the many great commercial
hosting solutions offered by list members (PLUG: I administer
http://thehostingcompany.us  :)

This is not a hosting service, but rather a SourceForge on steriods, with
access to the host's sysadmin (me) and root access, giving you maximum
flexibility and support for development and education.

Lastly, if there are people who are experienced with these types of things
(jails, sysadmin, scripting, etc) we'd be interested in forming an
admin/support staff group, allowing many projects to be hosted
(bandwidth/hardware resources are not at issue - just time).  And it looks
great on a resume  :)

> i wouldn' t mind also providing space for this group, since i do plan,
> when i have more time, to become deeply involved in this local community.

Excellent, it'll be good to work with you.

> does nyphp.org site need a mirror?

A website mirror per se, not really, but a system mirror wouldn't be turned
away  :)

> oh and also i haven't been able to get on dal.net today does any one know
> why and is there a dal.net server provided through anyone in this group. i
> used to spend a great deal of time in #php under the nick natural178.

Sorry, can't be much help - use freenode or efnet  :)

Best,