[nycphp-talk] bsd apache php mysql help

Raymond DeRoo rainman at deroo.net
Mon Dec 30 20:03:27 EST 2002

Chalu--

Any reason why you included the text of the original message twice?

Not to start a holy war, but more as an observation.

> My only complaint is that there are lots of packages I need to maintain.
> Just because of some OpenSSL vulnerability on Linux, there have been
> several occasions to do quick upgrades which can take much time.

Perhaps you have a valid point, but you have not demonstrated it here. All
recent OpenSSL vulnerabilities have affected all platforms using OpenSSL,
this includes *BSD.

> At times, I get the feeling Linux is less secure. This is way I track
> Openwall if you are not familiar with it. Check it out.

I think what you *really* meant to say was "...the feeling <Insert Distro
Here> is less secure." Linux is a *kenerl* nothing more. What various people
do to package that kernel is left to that group and those who choose to use
it. Also, you don't mention *which* flavor of BSD you are speaking of...

> BSD gives much higher stability and your programming investment will last
> longer. If I were you, give BSD a good try. Once you set, you will be
> cruising. You can use this board to have others help you debug...

I do find it very interesting that Yahoo! is moving more and more towards
Linux based machines (For those who care, Linux rocks BSD for running MySQL)
for many of the reasons you give for liking *BSD.

.r ( who runs both Debian and FreeBSD )