[nycphp-talk] single entry point

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Tue Jul 30 21:37:39 EDT 2002

I'll step out on a limb and disagree with the others that responded to
your message. I've written some very large PHP-based sites and from my
experiences I've learned to base any sites of any size off a moduler
single entry point design. For an example of the framework I created for
my own use try http://freshmeat.net/projects/kfl/ and see my newest
version.

I do not suggest that using a single entry point design is reasonable for
every project. Small sites don't really benefit from the more structured
design. Also a single entry point site can be designed totally without
enternal structure which is just a mess. It can also be beneficial to have
several 'single entry points' to group modules as is practical for your
problem domain.

As someone else said templates are a good design choice for use with
single entry points. IMO so are object oriented modules. Good object
oriented design will make it easier to maintain security and
maintainability as the site growsbut by no means will do your job for you.

There is no reason why search engines won't or can't spider as deep as you
want even with a single entry point. It's a pretty easy trick to pass PHP
arguments in the URL path. For example index.php?module=logon can be done
as index.php/module/logon or just index.php/logon if you wanted.. hiding
the fact that the requested files are dynamic from the search engines.