multiple gateways and linux

Jim Suto jim at alliedtours.com
Tue Jun 4 11:13:24 EDT 2002

I am looking for any ideas people might have to maximize the value of having
multiple T1s from different providers and being able to provide redundancy
and possibly performance gains from having a linux server utilize these
multiple gateways.  Some ideas I was thinking about:
1) enable linux to do dead gateway detection and avoid using a gateway if it
is not up
2) enable linux to distribute traffic among the gateways to whichever one is
least busy (this might be a little bit more difficult)
3) enable linux to figure out from a list of hosts which gateway would allow
connection to a specific host with minimum lag and/or hops

I guess some shell scripts could accomplish some of these tasks unless
someone knows a better way?

regards,
Jim