[nycphp-talk] strange ifconfig error message

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 10:05:46 EDT 2002

I don't think this would be a problem in RedHat, per se, but rather the
kernel/NIC drivers of any given Linux distro.  Tulip NICs and their
drivers, from my expierence, have been notorisouly fickle - they seem
to have slight version changes and revisions regularly.  This may just
be a case of the NIC being a different revision than the driver - and
the ifconfig command needs to be pounded in a little harder, by way of
the extra call.

I have RH 7.3 on a couple production machines, and it's been running
great (it's beginning to rival my faith in 6.2).  I wouldn't let this
stop you from the upgrade, and you could always downgrade/recompile an
older driver revision for your NIC.

HZ