Job: SysAd, human rights, open source and free software.. in DC

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 13 23:00:09 EDT 2002

Damn,

This would be my dream job if not for the Linux guru part (and the ap't
lease I just signed..).

I couldn't imagine a better use for one's LAMP skills, so please pass it on:

Abstracted from:
http://shr.aaas.org/sysad/

"We're looking for someone who loves free software, wants to support human
rights, and is eager to travel some of the most difficult places in the
world.

We work to apply science to human rights. One way we do that is by building
information management systems and doing statistical analysis of large-scale
human rights atrocities. We've done projects in Guatemala, Honduras, Haiti,
South Africa, Kosovo, Cambodia, and Sri Lanka. We work with non-governmental
organizations, UN missions, truth commissions, and tribunals.

We think that freedom is pretty important, and we are deeply concerned about
how copyright enforcement legislation might be used to repress human rights
organizations. We have a long-standing interest in the use of cryptography
to promote human rights. These interests (and many other observations too
numerous to discuss here) have led us to conclude that open source and free
software promotes human rights values, and so we are trying to do all our
work in open source and free software.

Skills Required:

You need to be very comfortable with GNU/Linux systems. In particular, some
of the skills you should have include a mastery of GNU/Linux installations,
boot loaders, and init scripts; a wide knowledge of system demons;
experience installing, configuring, and deploying free software office &
productivity applications; script experience (perl, Python, shell); and at
minimum, a working understanding of SQL, free software implementations of
SQL back ends (MySQL, PostgreSQL), and of rapid ways to provide UIs to SQL
systems (glade, PHP/HTML).

Things that would help but aren't essential would be a working knowledge of
make/autoconf, C/C++, Apache, PHP, Java, and javascript. Knowing something
about statistics and statistical graphics under GNU/Linux (e.g., R) would be
helpful. Do you have an opinion about vi(m?) versus (Xe|e)macs?"

D C Krook
http://krook.net/ || http://krook.info/