[nycphp-talk] Formatting dates

Jeremy Hise jhise at linuxforbusiness.org
Wed May 15 09:19:07 EDT 2002

Hi!

I'm not gonna go into details here, but just about all PHP date
functions use the unix timestamp..which may seem a little odd if you are
coming from M$. However, this turns out to be great because it actually
eleminates the problem of going into the next month and makes date
handling really easy.

For instance, to print the date, you say something like:

print (date("M Y"));

This will give you "May 2002";

Now, you can use a function called mktime() like this:

$new_timestamp = mktime(0, 0, 0, 5, 15, 2002);

Now if you say,

print (date("M d Y", $new_timestamp));

You will get:

"May 15 2002".

The "next month" problem is solved because if you say,

$new_timestamp = mktime(0,0,0,5,32,2002);

You will get

June 1 2002

Cool huh?

Good luck!

Jeremy

NOTE: Some syntax may be off a bit, but use PHP.net as your reference.
You can type in http://www.php.net/mktime and it will redirect you to
the function definition for mktime(), etc.