Last night's notes?

charles at softwareprototypes.com charles at softwareprototypes.com
Thu May 23 14:37:48 EDT 2002

Hello Hans,

I'm extremely sorry I missed last night's meeting. I wanted to bring
in my TiBook wich I use for demoes which is running Apache 1.3.23,
php 4.1.2, MySQL-3.32.39, phpWiki-1.3.3, phpMyAdmin-2.2.4 and some
other things. I've even installed ZendStudio_Client 2.0 Beta.
Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get ZendStudio_Server
working on my slackware box.

But duty, and a job possibility, called. I hope it wasn't for
naught...

A Blog, like phpSlash, would allow to build a searchable message
stream and that would not be a bad idea. That develops a sense of
community very quickly (specially with as small a community as the NY
PHP User's Group.)

But for peristence of information, organization, searchability, and
so on, all stuff you want in a knowledge base, you'll want a Wiki,
(like phpwiki.)

The stuff that worth keeping from the blog can be moved over onto
wiki pages and that information becomes a web accessible resource. In
fact phpwiki is extensible by using plug-ins written in php so you
might want to integrate the blog into a wiki page to ease the
transfer.

I've got some time available but I have to earn some dough. Would the
position of blog monitor/moderator be a paying one? (If not now, then
soon?) That will be a major time sponge.

If you decide to go for a wiki (and I think you whould, look at the
wikipedia for some inspiration,)that will also need a
montor/moderator backup scheduler etc... That would mesh in well with
the duties of the blog monitor/moderator.

-Charles-A.