[nycphp-talk] Installing ZendStudio_Server. Anybody know how?

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Fri May 24 00:04:21 EDT 2002

> However,the Linux world is NOT Mac OS X. Its important to provide
> good information so that installation can occur on the various
> distributions. I think its a pain that only RedHat's directory
> structure is supported right out of the tar file but that's my
> opinion.

It certainly is not.  One problem with Linux (and UNIX through the
ages) is variance.  Linux is no exception, and it's openness probably
intensifies these problems.

> Still, its inexcusable that Zend does not provide enough information
> to let people who are using another distro to "roll their own". I'm
> getting used to doing this since RedHat is our 800lb Gorilla
> regardless of what I might think, but can't claim to be thrilled at
> this "contre-temps" since it only the crappyness of the installation
> instructions that stands between me, multi-platform clients and a
> usable ZendStudio Server.

In addition, commercial products are notoriously finicky, especially on
Linux.  I just went through an Oracle, ARCServe and AntiVirus install
on RedHat.  Even taking the most "ceritifiable" and commercial version
of Linux, and using the commercial software for THAT VERY version,
caused enormous pain.  And if you think Zend's installer doesn't give
much detail, try Computer Associates - worse yet, CA won't give you
support if you've even modified your system beyond their "certified"
vision of a system, which must be a industry secret, since they're very
illusive (ignorant) as to what that exactly means. (CA makes Microsoft
look like Apache).

It's the nature of the beast, perhaps the fault of the vendor, perhaps
Linux; probably somewhere in the middle.  Open Source, say hello to
commercial vendors.

If you'd like to post some details I/we'd be glad to help.  If you
like, I could even ssh into your box and see what I can see.

Hans Z.