[nycphp-talk] Installing ZendStudio_Server. Anybody know how?

charles at softwareprototypes.com charles at softwareprototypes.com
Thu May 23 23:40:27 EDT 2002

Hello Hans,

good thing I'm NOT in a hurry. Still I'd like it installed before the
next php course (May's got "canceled".)

I'll grant that slackware is perhaps not your run-of-the-mill distro,
(atually it respects the Linux directory structure more than RedHat
does.) No customized set up will be perfectly compliant with any
scheme. Which makes explanation of the installer questions and their
answers even more important.

Installing on Mac OS X would be a breeze since the ONLY way is the OS
X way and the OS X installers don't have to contend with any
directory variance. Apps go in the Applications folder or one of its
subfolders and that's that. Host servable Web documents go in
"<startUpDisk>:Library:WebServer:Documents:" User documents go in
"<startUpDisk>:Users:<user>:Sites:"

However,the Linux world is NOT Mac OS X. Its important to provide
good information so that installation can occur on the various
distributions. I think its a pain that only RedHat's directory
structure is supported right out of the tar file but that's my
opinion.

Still, its inexcusable that Zend does not provide enough information
to let people who are using another distro to "roll their own". I'm
getting used to doing this since RedHat is our 800lb Gorilla
regardless of what I might think, but can't claim to be thrilled at
this "contre-temps" since it only the crappyness of the installation
instructions that stands between me, multi-platform clients and a
usable ZendStudio Server.

-Charles-A