Solaris installs/users?

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Fri May 24 00:28:20 EDT 2002

Greetings all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience installing PHP - or the other
regulars MySQL/PostgreSQL, Tomcat, and Apache - on a desktop Solaris 8
machine.

I've been doing local development with Windows 2000/IIS and Mac OS X/Apache
and deploying them to outsourced Linux hosts for a while now, but I'd like
to mess around with configuring this Solaris machine on my local network to
be a staging/experimental server of sorts.

Most of the documentation I've been using over the years has been
Linux/BSD/Windows related so it's about 85% helpful for what I want to do,
but I would also like to get a feel for any potential pitfalls before I
really start messing with the SPARC box (I'm not exactly a Unix guru...).

So, does anyone have warnings or anecdotes that might come in handy?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
http://krook.net/