[nycphp-talk] wikis, phorums and blogs, oh my! WAS: Last night's notes?

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Fri May 24 00:40:12 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 23:18, Hans Zaunere wrote:
> I really don't know much about how these things work (I'm still not
> sure the real difference between a weblog and wiki) so I'd like someone
> to play around with these.

My five-cent explanation:
The distinguishing feature of a wiki is that its pages are publicly
writable, and through the "intermap" mechanism, different wikiwebs can
link to pages in each other.  I've been using a Perl-based wiki for a
while now as a knowledge base.  Wikis sort of take on a life of their
own.

Weblogs are generally writable only by one or a small group of selected
posters.  Many blogs don't have any sort of public commenting facility
either.

Ron