[nycphp-talk] PHP to write streaming text connection between server and client

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 11:33:53 EDT 2002

The nature of HTTP doesn't permit this.  However, HTTP/1.1 does allow
for persistent connections.  With some handy-work you might be able to
keep the connection up, and have the browser poll the server, however
this doens't really get you that much.  I think this really needs to be
implemented client-side, ie, have javascript or something refresh every
few seconds, or so (not the whole page, necessarily, but maybe a little
frame/piece of the page).  One poster spoke of using Flash, which is a
very exciting technology.  A friend of mine uses Flash a lot and knows
how this would work - unfortunatley I do not.

Hans Z.