Fwd: Re: [nycphp-talk] Message Boards

Ted Shieh liquidm3 at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 13:52:52 EDT 2002

I concur with Jay - phpBB is good.  Which is probably why it is the #5 top
download at SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/

But I need to use something that integrates with PostNuke, so I use XForum,
which you can see in action at http://www.liquidmarkets.com/?name=XForum

Someone succeeded in integrating phpBB 2 with PHP-Nuke, but so far I think
the highest version of phpBB that has been integrated with PostNuke is 1.4.

If you'd like to try out XForum, and have read any of William Gibson's
works, feel free to join the William Gibson discussion:
http://www.liquidmarkets.com/?name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=23

Ted

>From: "Jay" <jay at wnymusic.com>
>To: NYPHP Talk <talk at nyphp.org>
>Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] Message Boards
>Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:52:14 -0400
>
>Infopop is not freeware or opensource...and the last I checked, not written
>in PHP either. I've been running a message board (wnymusic.com/board) for
>about 6 years and started with Matt Wright's famous WWWBoard which was
>really great at the time. I then switched to Infopop's UBB and actually
>paid
>for a license but the whole thing was a monster and every thread was it's
>own HTML file. That got real ugly after a while and started to break down
>left and right.
>
>I now use what I consider to be the best opensource message board out
>there:
>phpBB version 1.4. They have since released version 2 which tries to keep
>up
>with pay-for message boards like vBulletin which is also written in PHP and
>is very good. Phorum is good but I don't care for the way the messages are
>arranged.
>
>You can get phpBB at http://www.phpbb.com
>
>Jay

Place a free classified ad with LiquidMarkets
http://www.liquidmarkets.com/m.php?m=wish