[nycphp-talk] Message Boards

Jay jay at wnymusic.com
Fri May 31 12:50:30 EDT 2002

Infopop is not freeware or opensource...and the last I checked, not written
in PHP either. I've been running a message board (wnymusic.com/board) for
about 6 years and started with Matt Wright's famous WWWBoard which was
really great at the time. I then switched to Infopop's UBB and actually paid
for a license but the whole thing was a monster and every thread was it's
own HTML file. That got real ugly after a while and started to break down
left and right.

I now use what I consider to be the best opensource message board out there:
phpBB version 1.4. They have since released version 2 which tries to keep up
with pay-for message boards like vBulletin which is also written in PHP and
is very good. Phorum is good but I don't care for the way the messages are
arranged.

You can get phpBB at http://www.phpbb.com

Jay