[nycphp-talk] phpcon-ny

Bryan Richard bryan at pyzine.com
Mon Nov 18 14:02:07 EST 2002

> > Tracks. Currently we are blocking out three tracks with the option for a
> > fourth if the need arises. Current proposals for tracks are:
> >
> > - Enterprise
> This is always a hot topic, and may include performance tweaking and proper
> programing techniques.
>
> > - Application Development
> Very broad.
>
> > - XML
> Same with this.
>
> > - Education (PHP in an academic setting)
> This is interesting to me.  I work at NYU, and depending on the details of
> what this track entails, may be able to help out.  There must be others who
> work in an academic (non-profit?) setting and are using PHP.
>
> > - CMS
> > - Web Services
> Hand in hand with XML IMHO.
>
> > Additional suggestions? Comments on those listed?
>
> I always feel that a large part of PHP is left out, that being local
> scripting and CLI.  We use PHP through crons to mine data from Oracle/MySQL
> and couldn't be happier.  Considering the other language choices and the
> various DB support, PHP really is the only answer.

The current size of the conference probably won't allow us to be too
granular with an Application Development track. One of the most well
attended sessions at the first PHPCon was the PDFlif talk, which if a
tough one to pigeonhole in anything other than a broad category track.

One thing we could do is focus on a given technology for each day of the
conference. Day One: Application Development with MySQL, Day Two:
Application Development with XML and Web Services. This would also have
the benefit of freeing up a track for, possibly, Education. The drawback
is that topics like CLI or GD, or Rasmus' Tips & Tricks talk might get
overlooked if we try to type the track to strong.

I've very interested in doing an Education track and we had a number of
Educators, students, and University IT folk at the first PHPCon.
Depending on how it is structured, the appeal of an Education track
might not pull Enterprise or your typical Application Dev attendees so
we would obviously need to see a good showing from the Universities
outlining the track, giving sessions, and attending.

> > General Theme. What are the problems that you are looking to solve?
>
> PHP recognized as more than just an "HTML embedded scripting language"

I think we are seeing this arise out of the Enterprise track. By and
large, PHPCon's focus is the Web, but we certainly don't want anyone
leaving thinking PHP is only a tool for your Geocities page. We didn't
officially state a tag line for the first conference but I can see the
need for something along these lines for the next. I believe PHP Journal
was considering printing up shirts that made reference to Perl and Camel
butts, but I don't know if we want to go that far. ;)

> > What are you looking to take away from the conference?
>
> This is a toughy.  Offhand, probably the satisfaction of feeling that PHP has
> been launched into the eastern seaboard, and has a strong development
> community.  Also, possibly, the continued support of companies, following
> suit of Yahoo!.

Yahoo! will most certainly be there and we are talking to other
companies that are developing enterprise PHP applications. I think
having the name of a major University or two that has adopted PHP
internally would certainly add to the conference. And, as always, if
anyone has any suggestions of companies that have adopted PHP, please
pass the information along.

> > I think we set a good tone with the first PHPCon and generated some
> > positive press for PHP and its community. Our goal is to make this a
> > very important event for PHP developers and I think we heading in that
> > direction. Thanks to everyone for their help.
>
> Thank you Bryan.  I'm sure PHP-Con 2003 East will be great and NYPHP is here
> to help, allowing you to put your ear to the ground, here in the East.

Thank you, Hans.

--
Bryan

bryan at pyzine.com    (    www.pyzine.com