[nycphp-talk] NYC Freelance rates

Shawn Lawyer shawn at shawnlawyer.com
Mon Nov 18 12:22:38 EST 2002

understanding we are in a tough economy, i still bill at least $80/ hour.
you get what you pay for and someone charging $20/per hour might
just be worth $20/per hour. one thing to remember, php is a great
language, and can allow someone with little experience to write crappy
code that that will still work. what i also find just wheeling and dealing
in business is that people trying to get work cheap will say will say much
more then , "she is getting scores of resumes where guys are charging
less then $20 an hour". it's all a game and if a potential client is going
try to pull that one i often will not even bother with them. i don't need to
stress myself out dealing with people who want something for nothing.
those types of clients are also the ones who will call you every 5 minutes
wanting to change something. my suggestion is to leave that work for the
script kiddies because they still have to pay there dues.

> >   I was just wondering what the going rate for freelance (NYC) PHP
> > programmers was? I have a client that says she is getting scores of
> > resumes where guys are charging less then $20 an hour. I had assumed
> > it was about $40 - $50 these days.

there was an artical about this topic in New Architect this month. Maybe
that is where you got that from? basically if someone wants to deal with an
international firm they'll find out that there getting more than they
bargined for.
In reverse trywriting for someone india (wrox) if they can get the work done
so cheap in there country why are they contracting american programmers.

> There has been a lot of useful info in this thread.  One thing that I
> didn't see mentioned (besides the hordes of unemployed programmers who
> are willing to work quite cheaply) is that you are also competing
> against overseas people - India, Russia, etc.

> I know of one company in NYC who is employing a Bulgarian firm.  They
> have skilled, competent programmers, and the rate is $10/hour - $10/hour
> that the U.S. firm is paying out, so who knows what the Bulgarians are
> getting individually for a salary, but it isn't much.

shawn