chmod and file permissions

Phil Powell soazine at erols.com
Mon Oct 14 04:23:20 EDT 2002

If your directory is set to permissions 0755, and you upload your files to be at permissions 0744, will that change the permissions of the directory?  Whenever I upload a file, even though I have an is_dir check in place for the directory, the file is uploaded with permissions of 0755 and then the file becomes 0744 and then the file becomes 0744, and then I can't view the file!

I am not grasping this whole aspect of file permissions apparently enough to be able to handle file uploading correctly within the framework of PHP.  Anyone out there know what I must do to ensure the directory remains at 0755 and the files at 0744 or 0755 and ensure they can be viewed by all?

Thanx
Phil