[nycphp-talk] chmod and file permissions

Edward Potter ejp at well.com
Mon Oct 14 09:47:30 EDT 2002

hi,

ok, is this an upload using php with a form?  Then files are owned by
user nobody, which should have viewable permission, HOWEVER you should
also check out the UMASK  command in Unix. If this an FTP upload, then
that's another story.  Permissions can be kinda of tricky. You may to
assume the ID of the user at the command line, create a file, and do a
basic save, see where it ends up permissions wise. Once you get your
UMASK set, I think you'll be ok.   No matter what u do permissions wise,
the UMASK is going to be the default maker of permissions.

-- ed

The default file permissions (umask):
Each user has a default set of permissions which apply to all files
created by that user, unless the software explicitly sets something
else. This is often called the 'umask', after the command used to change
it. It is either inherited from the login process, or set in the .cshrc
or .login file which configures an individual account, or it can be run
manually.