Printing from arrays.

Matthew Zimmerman mz34 at nyu.edu
Wed Sep 11 13:25:29 EDT 2002

Hello,

Sorry if this is a RTFM question, but this list has been such a great
resource I wanted to start here.

Just a question about printing from an array using PHP/MySQL

My real database and code is a little more complex then this, but to
illustrate my problem let me say

1. I have two tables: "images" and "format". They each have two fields
"id" and "name".

2. I have a query that says

$query= "SELECT images.id, format.id, format.name
FROM images, format
WHERE images.id=$id";  /* $id is a passed from a from*/

3. Then I assign the results to an array using

$result= mysql_query($query);

while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)

	{
		extract($row);

	}

4. Then I want to print the results which I would think would go like
this:

echo "$images.id, $format.id, $format.name";

But it seems these are not the keys in the array, but instead there is
just one $id key and the value of that is whatever "id" came last in
the query. In other words, if the query read "Select format.id,
images.id" then there would be a value in the array for $id equal to
"images.id" and if query read "Select images.id, format.id" then there
would be a value in the array for the key $id equal to "format_id".

I expected there would be two keys in the array: images.id and format.id

Am I wrong to expect that?

Thanks for any help. I am new to PHP and databases and this code I am
using I got from a book, so maybe it is the wrong technique.

Matt Zimmerman
NYU