MySQL & 2.5 million rows!

jsiegel1 at optonline.net jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Fri Apr 11 10:22:16 EDT 2003

You read the subject line correctly!!! I'm loading 2.5 million rows from an ASCII file into a MySQL database. So...here's a little background on what I've done and then a question. (Please keep in mind I'm a Php/MySQL newbie...though I'm learnin' fast!!)

I created three tables - data_new, data_old, data_live. The Ascii file gets read, line by line, and inserted into data_new. When it's completed and there are no glitches (i.e., no problem with the Ascii file), I want to move the data from data_live to data_old and then move the new data from data_new to data_live. So...the question...is there a fast way to move the data from one MySQL table to another (from data_new to data_live) other than walking through data_new row by row...creating an Insert statement on the fly...and then inserting the row into data_live?

BTW, in case you are wondering why there are three different tables, I felt that this was a better way  than my client's present system which simply wipes out the live data and then reads in the Ascii file. If there is a glitch then they have to empty the table and reload the Ascii. Doing it this way, if they need to go back to the old data, I would move it data from data_old to data_live.

Jeff