[nycphp-talk] Re: Search Engine

Fee, Patrick J patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Fri Apr 11 15:20:51 EDT 2003

First, there is a free option (depending on the number of total pages) that
I've used before.  That would be Atomz.com's "Atomz Search"
(http://www.atomz.com/search/.

I've utilized their services before for small to medium sites.  You set up
the search pages with your CSS and/or background, tell the spider at Atomz
what to catalog at your site, how often to do it, and then let it work
auto-majicly.  There is an Atomz ad when your results come up... but it's a
great solution if you don't have a lot of time or $$ and a smaller site.

Second, you might look into a Verity Search solution using PHP.  Verity uses
a series of flat files for it's "collection", so mySql would not be
necessary.
(I could give you more info on that if you'd like).

Third, Check out the resources available on SearchEngineWatch.com:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/resources/article.php/2156591

This is a great resources for what you are trying to do....

Hope that helps,

Patrick J. Fee
Web & Database Group Manager
BAE SYSTEMS