[nycphp-talk] Ready, Set, Google!

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Wed Aug 6 09:45:06 EDT 2003

Good morning,

Over the last couple of days I've been playing with trying to provide some search capabilities to the mailing lists, noteably Talk.  Day after day valuable information and URLs are passed around and, for the most part, lost into history.

I tried a couple of things, not finishing any of them, until I finally took the easy way out.  Warning: These are all very rough :)

-- http://lists.nyphp.org/ptips/ scrapes URLs from each NYPHP-Talk message and throws it into a table.  There's of course many improvements that could be made, but it's kind of interesting to see the links people have referred to in the past.  Also, clicking the X will deactive that link (for instance, if you find a shopping.yahoo.com or hotmail.com in the listing).

-- http://lists.nyphp.org/search.php is a full text index of all NYPHP-Talk's mail message.  Yes, it's very rough (I forgot to include the subject of the message in the result listing) but it has potential.

-- http://nyphp.org/google.php is the easy way out.  It's your basic google search of our entire site, including the mailing list archives.  The only drawback is it's not very current.  The searches are always right on (afterall, it's google) but you'll probably have to wait a few weeks to see things get updated.  That said, I made it the primary means for searching our sites, until we get something better online.

So I just thought I'd throw these out there and I'm happy to hear any feedback as to what improvements could be made, what features/functionality people would find useful, etc.

Thanks,