[nycphp-talk] Re: IM App

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Sat Aug 9 17:22:18 EDT 2003

A few months ago, I created a php based socket server app (based in part
on http://www.php-tools.de/site.php socket server class).  For the front
end, I used flash via xml_sockets.  Now in order to add IM-ability to
the chat app, I basically set allow the user to click on a user who is
logged on which will send an "IM" command to the server via the socket,
which in turn sends it to that user via their socket connection.  Then
Using javascript from Flash it open up a new browser window with a new
room with the two members in it for both clients.

Most everything is held in php arrays and the class is continually open
on the server (with a while (1) { // socket commands }).  The only issue
I had was that my hosts's server wouldn't allow the app to run
constantly, so the socket connections would close after 20 minutes.  Now
that they just gave me my own server, I may be able to keep it running
at all times.

I've also done something similar with perl before that, which worked
well, but I've never liked maintaining perl because I'm not strong
enough with it.

I've found that the traffic and processees involved are incredibly
minimal, but it's only been for a group of 30 of us at a time.  The app
also adds all messages to a mysql database for archiving, and besides
the time limit which I'll be working around now, I've had no problems.

Good luck!

Mark