[nycphp-talk] OT: click thru count?

Brian Pang bpang at bpang.com
Tue Aug 12 16:43:37 EDT 2003

Sorry for the off-topic post, but this list is so full of knowledgeable
people, I couldn't resist...

pardon me while I first wipe off my nose ;)

I am have a "debate" with an external webmaster about the number of
click-thrus a banner on his site is generating to one of my sites.

He says his logs show over 5,000 click-thrus for a particular month.

My logs show a total of 20 references from his site (yes, I know, not
all browsers send the HTTP_REFERER).

The links on his site are nothing special. No link to a redirecting
script that may increment a counter or anything like that. Just plain
ol' http://www.foo.com (actually, it's a nasty double link, the href
points to an advertiser's site, and an onClick spawns a new window to my
site, but still nothing that I see that might register in his logs).

My suspicion is that his logs are displaying the number of times the
banner image was loaded, not the click-thru count. -OR- He also
mentioned the "Exit" pages statistic and is suggesting that every exit
page was a click-thru to my site.

In the case of the exit pages, I don't think he understands what an
"exit page" really is.

My question, at long last, Is there anything that would show in his logs
that a user clicked the banner to an external link?

Thanks much