[nycphp-talk] Database code solutions

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Wed Aug 13 07:44:20 EDT 2003

Ophir Prusak wrote:
> I'm looking for something that will reduce my development time on database
> related code.
> I know there are several packages, classes, etc that will help with this,
> but I don't have time to research all the possibilities and was hoping to
> hear from nyphp members their experiences and recommendations (or
> non-recommendations).
> I'm looking for any solution, commercial or open source.

Hey Ophir,

One thing I've found that dramatically helps me deal with database
issues is a good database design tool to help me visualize what's going
on.  I found something recently that I really like, CaseStudio:

http://www.casestudio.com

After a couple of hours learning the demo Lite version, I bought it.
The Pro version has a reverse engineering feature that logs into an
RDBMS and creates a model from an existing database.  I demoed this as
well and found a couple of things I should have been doing to optimize
my digest archive.  Supports MySQL 4 and PosgreSQL 7.x too.