[nycphp-talk] php scalability

Lee Semel lsemel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 22:38:27 EDT 2003

I heard that your company is one of the largest users of PHP.  It's good to know you have able to make this work.  I would like to use PHP for our site if it's possible to scale as easily as you described.

Is there anything special in the programming of the application that needs to be done to make it amenable to clustering, aside from keeping session state in the database?

Lee

Nicholas Tang <ntang at mail.communityconnect.com> wrote:
There are several high performance, relatively low-cost hardware
appliance-type solutions, especially if you buy refurbs... Alteon, Cisco,
F5, and a bunch of other vendors make them. As someone else mentioned,
there are other solutions like mod_backhand and/or wackamole that allow you
to set up dynamically balanced, redundant clusters of webservers.

It's pretty easy to scale LAMP-style setups, honestly. The place I work now
(CCI) uses PHP/Apache/Linux on the front end and, depending on the app and
how long ago it was written, Oracle or MySQL on the backend. We do a whole
lot of page views (hundreds of millions) every month so it can certainly be
done.

Nicholas