[nycphp-talk] php scalability

Nicholas Tang ntang at mail.communityconnect.com
Wed Aug 13 22:20:42 EDT 2003

There are several high performance, relatively low-cost hardware
appliance-type solutions, especially if you buy refurbs... Alteon, Cisco,
F5, and a bunch of other vendors make them.  As someone else mentioned,
there are other solutions like mod_backhand and/or wackamole that allow you
to set up dynamically balanced, redundant clusters of webservers.

It's pretty easy to scale LAMP-style setups, honestly.  The place I work now
(CCI) uses PHP/Apache/Linux on the front end and, depending on the app and
how long ago it was written, Oracle or MySQL on the backend.  We do a whole
lot of page views (hundreds of millions) every month so it can certainly be
done.

Nicholas