[nycphp-talk] PEAR (was: ..we don't need no stinkin security!)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Dec 4 17:58:44 EST 2003

What does anyone else think of PEAR? Here I was believing the hype about
the great quality... and increasingly, using PEAR. Just now I've been
playing with the Auth package and it certainly is not hard to set up.
ergo, from my point of view, not inordinately complex.

I assume you Cookbook guys have nothing against PEAR, n'est-ce pas?

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Hans Zaunere wrote:

> Tim Gales wrote:
>
> > H writes:
> > "...PEAR doesn't do this for a number of reasons..."
> >
> > Is it fair to characterize your response as:
> >
> > 1) Not modular (too interconnected)
> > 2) Complex (large) making it:
> >    2a) hard to maintain
> >    2b) slow
> >    2c) prone to security flaws
>
> Yes, albeit taken out of context it sounds very harsh :)
>
> In all, I feel that these points hold true in any environment, PHP/PEAR or not.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?"

                Sopranos 24:17