[nycphp-talk] P3P and MSIE6 cookies

Chris Snyder chris at psydeshow.org
Tue Feb 4 15:44:04 EST 2003

Analysis & Solutions wrote:

>Hey Folks:
>
>On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 03:10:32PM -0500, Chris Snyder wrote:
>

>>I've just been bitten by an IE6 cookie problem: a customer has a Privacy
>>profile in his Internet Options that only allows cookies from sites with
>>a "compact privacy policy" based on P3P. Well, that's just peachy, but
>>it means they can't use my site until I create one or they change their
>>settings.
>>

>Which is exactly why it's best to design sites that don't rely on any
>client side programming.  Your site will always work regardless of what
>browser or preferences are used.  For more info on this, check out my
>diatribe at http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/weberror.htm
>
>--Dan

While it's true that URI query strings may be superior to cookies for
passing session information, what happens when a user copy-and-pastes
the URL into an email client and sends it to their friends?

Even if you tied the session to an IP address, a user coming in through
an AOL proxy would get dropped on their next request. Or am I being
naive about this?

    chris.