[nycphp-talk] P3P and MSIE6 cookies

Chris Snyder chris at psydeshow.org
Tue Feb 4 23:22:56 EST 2003

Analysis & Solutions wrote:

>First, let me thank Chris Shiflett for posting the P3P information.  I
>wasn't aware of this initiative.  While it's not an issue for me right
>now, I know it will become one, as the browsers which implement this
>platform become more widely used and the users understand what they can
>do.  So, I implemented it.  Folks curious to see a valid setup can check
>out http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/w3c/

Thanks Dan and Chris!

Your links and examples, combined with the not-so-user-friendly IBM
generator mentioned here (http://www.w3.org/P3P/details.html) helped me
get these up on my server: http://chxo.com/w3c/

There are three files there: the xml privacy policy (privacy.xml)
created by the generator, the "policy reference" file (p3p.xml) that I
had to build by hand, and a file with Apache Directives that instruct
the server to use a single w3c alias server-wide and to send a P3P
header. Apache needs to be compiled with mod_headers enabled in order to
do this. The P3P: header could also be generated by PHP, of course.

http://validator.w3.org/p3p/20020128/p3p.pl?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fchxo.com%2F
Hooray, it validates. Tested this on MSIE6 with a High Privacy Setting,
and it took my cookie.

BTW in case you run into this down the line, you can View>Privacy
Report... in Internet Explorer to get some idea of what's up P3P-wise,
and there's also a Settings button in the same dialog box.

    chris.