[nycphp-talk] <script language="php"> PHP vs JHTML/Dynamo

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:56:57 EST 2003

Eek. I came from a Dynamo background myself (luckily I've been clean for 2
months now :P), and I found JHTML to be a mess.

As a tag-based language It's incredibly difficult to differentiate from HTML
when you scan your code, even if you adopt a standard such as to capitalize
it all and keep your logic outside of the page.  No editor I know of exists
to help with syntax highlighting either.

In addition to all the white space it leaves behind in your source which can
affect your TD cells, it also was incredibly difficult to integrate with
JavaScript as the need arose (for example when you need to generate a loop
of links to a popup window each with unique parameters.)

Of course there are ways around all of the problems above, but they are
particularly troublesome when you're building organic applications with ever
changing requirements on a tight deadline.

-Dan

Like I said probably just out of place since I came