[nycphp-talk] Newbie question: extract categories and display once

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Thu Feb 13 08:12:46 EST 2003

A down and dirty way would be to define a variable which is initially blank
or null.

At the top of your loop which you use to iterate through the articles check
to see if the category associated with the article is the same as that
stored in the variable.  If it is different, pump out the category info and
set the variable to the category you just output.  If it is the same, skip
outputting the category info.

This assumes that your query which obtains the data brings it back in
category order.

Jim