[nycphp-talk] Zend offer

Rudy rudy at taytek.com
Fri Feb 14 13:17:56 EST 2003

Hi Carlos,
I work at a large development organization and while we don't use PHP we are
a major Microsoft house.  For configuration management we use one of two
tools, Visual SourceSafe, or ClearCase.  VSS does not support code merging
therefore only one person can work on the a specific module at a time.
ClearCase,while it does support code merging, I have no experience using it.
A third configuration management tool that I have yet to use but looks very
promising is Perforce (www.perforce.com).  I believe they allow up to two
users for free so you can try the tool out.  I know Perforce does a nice job
integrating into the development environment but that is dependent on your
tool set.

Rational Rose is a modeling tool.  If you are a strong Object Oriented
Analysis and Design shop and are strong with UML (Unified Modeling Language)
Rose could help (you will need very deep pockets to buy this tool).  While
Rose supports forward and reverse engineering (code generation/model
generation) I am not sure it supports PHP.  If you are simply looking for a
nice modeling tool I would recommend Enterprise Architect
(http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/).  It is about 1/20 the cost of Rose and
does a nice job with the visual models.  If your company considers EA to be
too low cost and wants a company with a bigger balance sheet check out
Embarcadero's Describe (http://www.embarcadero.com/products/).

ClearQuest is Rational's workflow tool.  Unless you are well up on software
process and are looking to automate your information flow, ClearQuest is
probably not for you.

Rudy